View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What are you using to DJ with today? 

What's your MAIN tool for DJing in 2013?
Ableton Live of course! 62%  62%  [ 111 ]
Traktor 21%  21%  [ 37 ]
Serato 7%  7%  [ 12 ]
Turntables 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
CDJ's 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
iOS apps (djay, etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I rub two chipmunks together and people always dance when I do! 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 180

What are you using to DJ with today? 
ALDJ Hero

Post Re: What are you using to DJ with today?
I use two Technics 1210s, a kontrol x1, and Denon X1600 mixer all ran through traktor. For me the decision was all about minimizing preparation time. I'm purely a hobbyist, I rarely play out and don't actively seek opportunities so I felt like I was wasting so much time prepping tracks (both warping in ableton or gridding in traktor). Now I just analyze tracks once for bpm and it's off to the races. I've found traktor typically gets the grid right so my loops usually sound alright, and little refinement is needed. Beat matching is a pretty trivial exercise with DVS, especially when utilizing the phase meter.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Gear: iMac Core i7 27", Denon DN-X1600, NI Kontrol X1, Technics 1210 x2, NI Maschine, iPad (Lemur), Akai APC40

Soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/RIP_KING

Latest Mix:

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
ALDJ Hero

Rarely DJ anymore. But if I do, I'm not "performing." I still just define DJ'ing, for myself, as choosing good music and playing it. So 95% of the time it's just A/B mixing. Sometimes I will use my CDJ's just because people think it's cool and I can beatmatch. But now-a-days I tend to just use two channels in ableton. Nothing more, nothing less. Usually warping on the fly too, since most electronically produced music can be warped in about 10 seconds lol

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:13 am

Pioneer CDJ-2000s + Allen & Heath Xone DB4

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
ALDJ Hero

subterFUSE wrote:

BALLINNNNNNN!!!!

Gear: iMac Core i7 27", Denon DN-X1600, NI Kontrol X1, Technics 1210 x2, NI Maschine, iPad (Lemur), Akai APC40

Latest Mix:

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Skruff Master

subterFUSE wrote:

"A day without house music is not the end of the world but is so damn close" (Anonymous)

http://soundcloud.com/pepehouse
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1765308947
http://flavors.me/coolhouseforcoolpeoplehome

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:23 am

so this isnt what i use now, i dont really have anything right now i just do production but am looking into buying some gear.

wht im thinking is getting an apc40 for all my actual mixing (track volume, EQ, gain, so on the basics) and using a xone K2. with some effects software for all my effects and sampling, because i would have nearly an endless amount of control on it.

the idea originally came when someone suggested i use a launch pad with a K2, but ive had my mind set on the apc for a while now, ive been learning about using them (via the web) and feel like its a good fit.... its not exactly the most portable set up, but its portable enough and i think it would be very effective at providing a smooth creative work flow.

as far as the effects for the K2 goes, i was thinking of using something like 'the finger' by NI because its a nice package maybe use it with traktor's 12 or w.e its called.

thoughts? suggestions? alternatives? critics speak up?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm
ALDJ Hero

zander wrote:
so this isnt what i use now, i dont really have anything right now i just do production but am looking into buying some gear.

wht im thinking is getting an apc40 for all my actual mixing (track volume, EQ, gain, so on the basics) and using a xone K2. with some effects software for all my effects and sampling, because i would have nearly an endless amount of control on it.

the idea originally came when someone suggested i use a launch pad with a K2, but ive had my mind set on the apc for a while now, ive been learning about using them (via the web) and feel like its a good fit.... its not exactly the most portable set up, but its portable enough and i think it would be very effective at providing a smooth creative work flow.

as far as the effects for the K2 goes, i was thinking of using something like 'the finger' by NI because its a nice package maybe use it with traktor's 12 or w.e its called.

thoughts? suggestions? alternatives? critics speak up?

Personally, I think the K2 would be better suited for Mixer controls than the APC40. The endless encoders on the APC40 are difficult to have finite control of, versus the K2 which has clearly defined mins and maxes on the knobs. Sure, the lights help on the APC40, but its not quite the same. I would almost use the K2 as your mixer and some other controls, then use the APC40 for effects and clip launching. You could even get some cool effects assigned to some of the volume faders you're not using, etc.

Latest Mix:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 pm
Profile WWW

Ableton. :mixorstfu: :tune:

Wed May 08, 2013 10:04 am
Profile WWW
ALDJ Hero

klame wrote:
Ableton. :mixorstfu: :tune:

:Car

Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm
ALDJ Hero

Itch via VCI-300 mkII. I hate the organizational requirements of using Live to DJ with like Bret Michaels hates chlamydia. However, new developments:

1) Have started djing with vinyl on Thursday nights at a Bring Your Own Vinyl night at a local bar. It's friggin hard but I do have a deep, abiding, and nearly I explicable love for the big black discs so its something to do.

2) Traktor DJ for iPhone is amazing and possibly my real favorite DJ solution at present. I am sorely tempted to get an iPad and ignore everything else. The most helpful thing it does for me (given my preference for breakbeat driven music that is all over the map in terms of bpm and pattern) is make suggestions that I wouldn't have come up with on my own necessarily and does a fantastic job of pulling it together. To my ears it's "warp engine" is very very good. Better than Itch's anyway.

I do really miss Live's ability to change the key of a tune intentionally to make it work. When I do promo mixes I do them in live's Arrange mode.

Sun May 26, 2013 12:21 pm

I've been playing solely on Traktor for 4+ years now.

My current setup is 2 turntables (DVS) into a Xone DB4. Control of Traktor is via an X1 (Decks), F1 (Hot Cues/Remix Sets) and Maschine (Effects).

I've still got most of the MIDI controllers that I used with Ableton (compulsive hoarder), but I prefer the tactile feedback from a vinyl deck and hardware mixer. For simplicity, I may move to CDJ's (HID) one day but, for me, even this feels less satisfying than mixing on a record deck.

The other win for Traktor has also been the customisation offered by the built in controller editor. It's far from perfect, but there's more scope to tailor control surfaces to your performance style. By comparison, it always felt like a bit of a stability lottery when bringing my Ableton+Bomes setup to gigs and it became a priority to strip out dependence on 3rd party software.

I occasionally fire up Live for edits and mash ups and I'll definitely have a play on Push when Jim finally gets his delivered! :p

I also have Traktor DJ installed on an iPad and use this for more casual DJ'ing (took it on holiday to Barcelona last week and really enjoyed the simplicity of 2 decks, sync, a little looping and effects). It actually reminded me of when I used to mix with Live using the mouse. Will probably pick up the Z1 mixer/sound card to turn it into a neat portable setup for afterparties/travel/the park. :)

J

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Ditto on the Traktor app and the Z1, been thinking the same.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
ALDJ Hero

Giving Live another try. Loading up a Techno set, warping it all, see you in 6 mos. :P

Seriously, due to time constraints vs. my low level of skill, I can't afford to suck and I don't have time for Olympic training. When I get tired I make stupid mistakes and I'm tired a lot, so I'm gonna give Live+APC40 a fair shot. If that's too much of a PITA, well, guess next stop is iOS.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 pm
ALDJ Hero

Aaaand just that fast...

Live is sending itself instant track kill instructions that are completely baffling me. It's not a MIDI message coming from outside, it's from inside the system and it's ignoring the quantization (which is set at 1 Bar) and is INSTANTLY stopping clips.

Anyone seen this? Was getting it a bit ago, rebooted the program, problem solved. DOing it again however.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 pm
Ableton Guru

I bought Traktor Scratch on a whim, just so that I could play with my TTs again. Not having to warp every track has been a god send. But now I amlooking into routing Traktor through Ableton (I like my custom EQ and effects).

I still use Ableton for all my DJ mixes though.

"If we use computers as analogs of things we already have in real life, they're just providing convenience, not innovation."
Nathan Ramella

R.I.P. Gnipz

Charles Cushman
www.themetronomeproject.com

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next