View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
so who's actually doing it? 

Post so who's actually doing it?
anyone wanna post up links to presets? i'll be honest; it's so deep (and slightly intimidating), that i've spent very little time working with it, myself, but i'd LOVE to check out anything cool that others have come up with....might open it up for me a little too.

When cars came out, I bet the horse and carriage set hated pretty hard.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:02 am

I tried, but I gave up. Made it through most of the beginning tutorials, but programming on that level is just not for me. I can do it, but i find it too tedious when I could be making music instead. I look forward to seeing what other people come up with too though.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:54 am
Profile WWW

Started to build some dj tools, but got sidetracked. I'm just in the process of re-organising my hardware and live set, so will prob continue once that is finished. Darren seems to be the main protagonist on this forum, at the moment.

J

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:43 pm
ALDJ Guru

Cheers
D

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Who uses m4l? I use it in a couple of ways. I built a daft punk - esque lighted helmet. And I use a m4l device with and arduino (with firmata) to trigger the lights. I made the lights controllable by midi, so I can preprogram light sequences or have midi semi- randomly generated. I <3 m4l ! It's an invaluable tool for those smart enough to at least learn it's basic functions.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:41 am

If by invaluable tool you mean building a lighted helmet, then yes I agree.

:)

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
ALDJ Guru

I considered it and thought it would be something that I would really get into but i watched a few Max videos on youtube and though that its not really worth the effort.

And i couldnt really think of anything i would like to make that i cant already do in Live. Thats probably down to my own lack of imagination more than anything. :(

http://soundcloud.com/bong/dropbox

Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Post Re: so who's actually doing it?
I've been doing the M4L thing now for a while and have just started to reap the awards. The devices I have posted online are more production-oriented than for DJing:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index.php?by=author&q=docprosper&submit=Search

A modified buffer shuffler (could be useful for DJing) and a couple devices to generate random sequencer patterns for both midi and effect sequencing.

...but, I've just completed a pretty expansive M4L-driven DJ template that I have yet to share. A quick description:
I've got ~20 tracks with HML cut filters and M4L devices acting as slaves to route EQ'd audio from two main DJ tracks to either clean or FX tracks. Then this is all mixed down to the master. The final product is six faders for H-M-L routing to seperate effects busses for each track, and three H-M-L master faders between tracks. I use a Faderfox to control a 'master' M4L device for all the fading. It also has a global pop-up window with the effects and master faders.

I'll try to post a picture of the global window sometime in case anyone is interested. The only reason I didn't put it on M4L.com is that you can only post devices there and this requires a pretty complicated set to get everything running smoothly. If anyone's interested I would be happy to share.
-Hamish

p.s. and now I've been cranking s4racen's Octop4d: http://vimeo.com/18762683. It's awesome!

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:12 pm
ALDJ Hero

Post Re:
Tarekith wrote:
If by invaluable tool you mean building a lighted helmet, then yes I agree.

:)

:mixorstfu: ?

Gear: iMac Core i7 27", Denon DN-X1600, NI Kontrol X1, Technics 1210 x2, NI Maschine, iPad (Lemur), Akai APC40

Soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/RIP_KING

Latest Mix:

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
ALDJ Guru

docprosper wrote:

p.s. and now I've been cranking s4racen's Octop4d: http://vimeo.com/18762683. It's awesome!

Cheers Man!!

D

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 pm
ALDJ Hero

Orge said he was about to at the end of Jan. If his general time keeping on a Friday night is anything to go by he should be turning up just about now.

Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 am

Max is not that interesting for dj's.
But when it comes to producing, it has a lot of options.
For instance, check out the free Max devices; 'reversed reverb' and 'side chain compressor', by the Point Blank music school.

I use lfo 2.02 by Julien Bayle a lot, bought this, like this, it gives me a lfo I can put anywhere to anything in Live.

Respect to people how develope with this, Henrik Schwarz and of course Monolake belong to this club.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Okay, so perhaps a lit helmet is a little random. What about an led wall and lots of other led lighting, all controlled from m4l?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Ojs5C70Wdo
:tune:

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]